Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Creamy Portabella Mushroom Penne

I love mushrooms. Love them. I love mushrooms so much that I've been known to saute a whole package of them and eat them for a snack. This Mushroom Dill Pasta recipe caught my eye on Pinterest, but I'm not a big fan of dill, so here is my version. It's a quick and easy weeknight meal.


Slice up one package of baby portabella mushrooms, 4 cloves of garlic (I always add more garlic than the recipe calls for...mmm!), and one medium white onion. 


Saute over medium heat in 2 T of olive oil until the mushrooms begin to brown and the onion is soft.


Add 1/2 cup vegetable stock, 1/2 cup half and half, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook up 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat penne noodles. Follow directions on the package to cook them. Mine boiled for about 10 minutes before they were 'al dente.' I still don't even know what that means... ha ha! I just keep boiling and checking the noodles every minute or two after they've boiled awhile. You could always try the "throw the noodle against the wall/on the ceiling trick", but I'm pretty sure that is only supposed to work for spaghetti noodles. I remember I used to have a ball with that trick when I was a kid ... I'll let you in on a little secret: I still use it today and smile each time I do. :)




I added about a teaspoon each of basil, oregano, and parsley. 


Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and enjoy! Makes enough for about 4 people. :) 



Pin It

1 comment:

Like what you see? Please leave a comment! :)