Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew) with Sticky Brown Rice


I'm not too picky when it comes to new foods. I like all kids! I'm slowly trying to get myself hyped up to try spicier and spicier foods. I always seem to remember one instance when Avi, my Indian friend, made me curry. I literally turned purple from the heat. Luckily, when Katie made Kimchi, it wasn't as spicy! 

Yet another cooking adventure in my tiny ass kitchen! :)



What you'll Need: 
4 to 5 cups chopped kimchi
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Korean red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Korean hot pepper paste
1/2 package of tofu, chopped into cubes
green onions (optional)

Katie brought the Korean red pepper flakes straight from Korea, so I can't really tell you where to get this specific kind stateside. A good place to start is your local Korean/Asian market. :)


Start by cooking the brown rice. Brown rice takes quite a while to cook because it is a whole grain. Find a pot that has a tight fitting lid, and boil 2 1/2 cups of water. Add 1 cup of brown rice, stir it, and cover the pot. Return the pot to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer the rice for 45-50 minutes or until it's cooked through. 

I was very pleasantly surprised that for the first time in a long time, my rice turned out. Rice always seems to be the thing that I have trouble with...


Cook enough kimchi for as many people as you plan to feed. A good guesstimate is about a cup per person.  Start by putting chopped kimchi and it's juice in a pot that has a lid. Add Korean red pepper flakes and paste. Start with a little and add more because it has quite a kick. Korean spiciness is different than Mexican or Indian spiciness as it is a little more mild. Add sugar and green onion (optional).



Pour water over the ingredients until they are just covered. Close the lid of the pot and boil for about 25 to 30 minutes over medium heat. Add tofu and boil for 5 more minutes. Mmm, tofu! :)



1 comment:

  1. It's hard to come by experienced people in this particular topic, but you sound like you know what you're talking about! Thanks
    Also see my site > Click here

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Please leave a comment! :)