Thursday, March 15, 2012

Roasted Veggies



I always get so excited to see a blank blog page. It's so fun to make it beautiful by adding photos and a steady stream of thoughts. I find it hard not to write too much, but I think I like more photos than words a lot of the time. I have a feeling this will be a post with a lot of photos. :)

The good thing about being a vegetarian who loves vegetables is that you can usually find quite an assortment in my apartment any given day. I had some veggies that needed to be used up, so I decided to make roasted veggies last night.   

  


The fun thing about roasted veggies is you can pretty much use whatever you have on hand and they turn out amazing. It's quite a simple process and roasting with herbs really brings out the individual flavors of each vegetable. I used about 1/2 a head of broccoli, 1 sweet potato, 1/2 a red onion, and 1 yellow squash.


Chop up all your veggies in 1 inch cubes or slices. Add enough olive oil to cover all the veggies. 
I used about 2 Tablespoons.



Add about 1-2 teaspoons of rosemary, thyme, parsley, marjoram, and I also threw in some "Arizona Dreaming" from Penzey's to add an extra little South of the Border flavor, but you can use any type of seasoning you have on hand. Arizona Dreaming is a mix of ancho chili pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, cilantro, lemon peel, chipotle pepper, red pepper, jalapeno, cocoa, and natural smoke flavor. Talk about a fantastic mix of spices! I love Penzey's... more coming on that later! :)

Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until the veggies are coated with spices. 



Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spread out the veggies in a single layer on a baking sheet.


Bake for10 minutes. Remove from oven, turn the veggies with a spatula and put back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes or until the veggies are cooked through and browned.


I decided last minute that I wanted to make a roasted veggie sandwich so I cut up some slices of Monterrey Jack cheese to put on toast. I put it on a piece of (pre-toasted) whole wheat toast and put it on the baking pan to cook for the last 5 minutes so the cheese melted.



What's your preference? Blogs with more photos or more text? Leave your thoughts below. :)

Photobucket
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love both, text and photos! And VEGGIES! Love, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, both, but I also adore you - just you. Sandwich is beautiful. Mom

      Delete
  2. I love the photos! Dianne (Ashley's Mom)

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Please leave a comment! :)